The Squaw Valley ski resort in California recently had an issue with a contamination of their upper mountain water system. There had been extraordinary rain earlier in October which allow overflow to leak into the water supply. The contamination was discovered during a routine water test. The contamination was immediately reported to the Placer County Department of Environmental Health. In the test, both E. coli coliform bacteria were detected. The ski resort immediately closed all of the restaurants that were using the water supply from the upper mountain. Guests were supplied with fresh bottled water but the ski resort remained open to visitors.
The ski resort has been working diligently to restore the drinking water supply to the guests and businesses located on the upper mountain. In recent testing, there were no traces of E. coli and very low traces of coliform bacteria. The water supply will remain off-limits to visitors until the test results show that there are no longer any trace amounts of the bacteria left in the water supply.
Squaw Valley takes the safety fo their guests very seriously which is why they are taking every precaution to ensure everyone’s safety. Although the resort remained open they prevented any of the guests from consuming the contaminated water. The resort plans on reopening the restaurants that are located in the affected area as soon as they are given the all clear by the Placer County Department of Environmental Health. In the meantime, they will keep everyone posted on any developments.